How to import a wallet into MetaMask
MetaMask is basically a connector between your browser and the Ethereum network, this invariably means that with MetaMask, you can run Ethereum decentralized apps (DApps) on your native browser without going through the tedious process of running the full Ethereum blockchain node.
How to import a wallet into MetaMask : Steps
As a way to simplify the use of Ethereum and DApps, MetaMask has made it possible for users to easily carry out Ethereum transactions in a more secure environment, and without hassles. Here are the steps you will take to import your Ethereum wallet to MetaMask:
- • The first you need to do is to get the MetaMask browser plugin, and all you need to do is visit https://metamask.io/ where you will see the different plugins for Chrome, Opera and Firefox, or you may want to opt for the Brave browser which has a higher level of security than the native browsers, and the Brave browser also comes with a pre-installed version of MetaMask.
- • For the purpose of this post, we are using the Chrome extension of MetaMask, so click on the “GET CHROME EXTENSION” button, and you should see something like the image below:
Click on the “ADD TO CHROME” button at the top right corner of the screen. The MetaMask should begin downloading and it will get installed automatically, and when it has successfully installed, you should see the MetaMask fox icon at the beside your chrome browser’s address bar.
- • Click on the MetaMask fox icon, and then click the “Continue” button to proceed. The next page is where you will create your MetaMask password, which you will use to gain access to the MetaMask platform anytime you need to use it.
- • After creating the password, the next process of setting up your MetaMask account is the automatically generated secret backup phrase. Click the “CLICK HERE TO REVEAL SECRET WORDS” button to reveal the phrase, and you should copy it down and save secretly.
- • When you are done saving the secret backup phrase, click on the “NEXT” button, and you will be directed to another page where you will be asked to confirm your secret backup phrase. You are required to input the phrase you saved from the previous step.
- • Now you have successfully created your MetaMask account and are logged in, and you will notice that the there is a new Ethereum address with this new account you have just created, hence, you can use it to send or receive funds.
- • With your MetaMask account already setup, you can now import your already existing wallet that contains your ETH and other Ethereum-based tokens. The process is easy, as all you have to do is click on your Account icon at the top right corner, a drop down menu will come out and you will see the “Import Account” option, click on it.
After clicking on the “Import Account” option, a new page will show you a “Select Type” option, where you can select how you want the Ethereum wallet to be imported. The default type is “Private Key”, and it should be left that way. Next step is to input the private key of the Ethereum wallet you intend to import, when you are certain the key is correct, click on the “IMPORT” button.
The above are the steps required to import your Ethereum wallet to MetaMask to aid in carrying out Ethereum transactions that are secure.